Friday, August 24, 2012

Bread & Butter Pickles

 I made pickles for the first time! Bread & butter to be exact (bread & butter pickles are sweeter than dill pickles). I have been looking for "pickling cucumbers" for a long time and finally found some at a farmer's market in San Diego.
 
I followed a very simple recipe that produced three jars of delicious pickles! Usually when I can a certain food, I put in through the caning process (setting the jars in boiling water and setting them sit on the counter to seal) so that it can be shelf stable. This recipe was for "refrigerator pickles" meaning that the canning process is not required. This kind of pickle is very tasty, but has a time limit for when they need to be eaten. Unlike a shelf stable pickle that can last a while in your pantry until opened. Next time I might try processing them so that I can make a larger batch that will last. It will also be better to process them for gifts.
 
Here is the link to the recipe I used:
 
 
The only thing that I did differently was use 
red onion instead of white.
Red onion is my favorite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment